Grass Fed Buttermilk Pot Roast
- 2-3 pounds rump roast, chuck roast, or other suitable cut
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- Several sprigs of fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon peppercorns crushed
- 1 medium onion, rough chopped
- 1 dozen small round potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (mixed with 2 tablespoons water)
- salt and pepper
Remove the buttermilk and dry off meat with paper towels. Salt the meat with kosher salt and add fresh ground pepper. In a heavy, flameproof casserole, brown on all side in butter and olive oil. Remove meat from casserole and pour out the browning fat.
Add the onion and sauté. Add wine, beef stock, thyme, and peppercorns, bring to a boil and skim. Return pot roast to casserole and bake at 300 degrees F, covered, for several hours or until tender. One hour before serving add potatoes and carrots. At this point, you may want to add more water if necessary.
Remove meat and vegetables to a platter and bring the remaining sauce to a boil on the stove. Spoonful by spoonful, add arrowroot mixture until desired thickness is obtained. Season to taste.